Today, we each came to class with our annotated bibliographies and a much fuller understanding of where we wanted to go with the project. Our research made it much easier to think about the topic in more concrete terms, and our ideas flowed from there.
Here are our team meeting minutes from today to illustrate the progress we made on our project today and where we are now.
- Met up before media tutorial
- Spoke about our research findings
- Rob: remixing, copyright in relation to parodies, semiotics
- Lucas: evolution of audiences and interpretation of meaning, semiotics
- Emma: adaptations (literary works to films), semiotics
- Discussed with Rachel how to narrow down topic
- Texts > Adaptations > Literary to Film OR specific author
- Further discussion of this within our group led to the decision to focus on the works of William Shakespeare
- Modern adaptations
- Twelfth Night – She’s the Man (film)
- Romeo & Juliet
- Shakespeare Play > Modern Plays > Movies > West Side Story Film and Plays
- 2 separate parts
- Basics of adaptations and remixes (Rob – interviews)
- Romeo & Juliet – linked to West Side Story (focused on the differences between adaptations and the effect this has)
For next week, our task is to have something concrete to show for our research. For our group, this will be footage from the interviews Rob has set up, and a set structure for the website we will create, with the following:
- Introduction to our group and the subject of ‘texts’, also introducing ‘adaptations’
- Sections of the website
- Planned content (which media we will use and who will work on which aspects)
Every week, as I get a better idea of where this project is heading, I am more and more excited to see the final product (artefact) our research will culminate in.