Our last tute took place today, we had finished recording the video logs (thanks to a friend who helped voice the leader). We’ve managed to finalized most of the puzzles, and is now just in the creative stage, so just designing how the puzzles will be presented.
Specifically, Griffin has finalized her first puzzle, designing it. We’re now at the stage of just finalizing everything which we will do in our next meet up, next week. It’s just a matter of refining everything before play testing and rehearsing.
So last Friday we met up to record and discuss the format of which we’d like to shoot our video log. We figured we didn’t need any high end equipment because we were shooting a video that is meant to reflect the resistance, so the quality wasn’t meant to be perfect. We had a few issues with lighting but we got around that with our phones.
Now our audio wouldn’t be perfect either, but it wouldn’t meet our expectations if we simply recorded it with the video – so we decided to record the audio separate and just sync it with the video. It was fine because we kept the character in the shadows so we couldn’t actually see him speak.
Although the initial idea was for me to play the leader (both video and audio), I decided that I couldn’t fulfill that role as well as I liked to. As a result, I asked a friend of mine who’s had a bit of experience in the past do the voice for me, and it did prove more effective than myself at least.
Everything at the moment in terms of video and audio is now in post production. I’m taking it through Sony Vegas to manipulate the voice and video, as well as add effects and whatnot.
In the upcoming weeks we’ve finalized the scripts and the narrative structure for our escape room-esque narrative. Our puzzles have become more refined in that we’ve fleshed out each puzzles to be included in the narrative.
We’ve removed 1 character from the playable roles as a result because we couldn’t find a particular use for him in terms of puzzles. However, the character himself (the doctor) remains a crucial part in shaping our narrative. The puzzles are essentially split into 3 particular departments in which the player must choose between (The hacker, tactician and comms/spec ops).
The hacker puzzles we’ve created to be password and code deciphering since the story revolves around a security lock down, the mastermind’s puzzles revolves around finding clues that hint towards the time at which the explosive device will go off and the comms/spec ops will be in charge of an espionage-esque role which involves finding clues that pertain to the location of the bomb.
At this point in time we’ve fleshed out the narrative quite a bit and have decided not to further alter and change the narrative because every time we try to implement an idea, we end up affecting everything else along the ways – journals and puzzles mostly. This applies to the same as the puzzles as well, when we keep adding ideas to the puzzles, we end up having to change the narrative.
Currently we’re at the stage where we’re refining the puzzles and recording the necessary video logs/audio logs for the game set up, as well as working on the journals and dead drops that give insight to the lore of the universe and provide crucial clues for the puzzles that need to be solved.