‘ The Remix and the Glitch’
Notes I took during the class:
- The remix & the glitch – breaking things to get at the art
- There is no such thing as an original idea
- Remix in pre-digital era was done by the ‘DJ’
- There were artists that released music specifically for clubs
- Mash-ups can promote other music.
- Culture builds on the past and the past always tries to control future
Rip! A remix manifesto – 4:40 -12:15
– Biggie Small – The Notorious B.I.G. –
– Jackson 5 – I want you back
– Lil’ Kim –
– B.O.B – nothing on you
– Get Low (Lil Jon)
When thinking about the idea of remixing, I think it is important to consider the fact that these remixes have been created by taking old material and creating something completely new with potentially a different purpose. Does this then make it a breach of copyright if it is just taken to create something new and different?
I believe it is so impossible to not copy anything.. and in my opinion copyright is sometimes a joke. You cannot expect every single human on this earth to come up with something completely new that is not related to anything else.. that’s a ridiculous idea.