For Project Brief 1 I had the honour of interviewing Patrick, a very charismatic character who was extremely generous as a subject in what accumulated as 45 minutes of audio footage. While in the future I hope to have a more direct plan, I let the results of the interview dictate the direction I went structurally and in developing a somewhat narrative. I actually purchased sound effects from a site ‘Audio Jungle’ to embed to texture and context into the work, a cost I can now learn to avoid with more forward sonic planning.
We recorded in one of the Building 9 studios which provided pretty clear and pure sound however there were some issues with popping – perhaps a result of how close the microphone was placed. I’ve also learnt from listening to the finished product with headphones (something I didn’t do during the editing products) to listen more clearly for unintended snippets of my voice.
I edited this piece with Reaper which I found generally quite easy however I’m more appealed to idea of using pro-tools as it seems to be used more professionally and be a more sophisticated software. I also hope to find better sources of sound effect and music as I continue to be hesitant about involving musical elements due to copyright restrictions. This is an anxiety I will have to overcome and will require greater research and commitment.
Kyla provided some interesting feedback such as spacing out the editing more and not try and condense the recording together too much. I understood what she meant after listening to Bea’s piece which included some interesting use of sonic interludes that enabled a much more atmospheric and thematically stronger and spaced out product.
Conclusively, I feel more ambitious for my next endeavour particularly after hearing the work of my peers which admittedly made me feel quite amateur in comparison. I believe more preparation in what I want to convey in my work will help for improvement.