How does Hypertext relate to storytelling in different Media formats?
- programs that allow you to navigate your way through film. can be random how the links are made between the films.
- the experiences that go with hypertext- meant to be linear but jump all over the place this is becoming the normal.
- “i’m a Hypertext theorist” – hypertexts gives an archaeology its dated but present.
- text- that has multiple relations to other text
- joined to other things in multiple ways
- not about navigation- navigation is only theory its not just about the reader. not just about giving agency to the reader.
- the thing with hypertext is you come back to things, though you might think that “oh i’ve seen this already, whats the point” it allows you to take a second look, a second chance to process that information.
- its like storytelling in a musical poetic form- repetition is ok.
Is the work we publish online only validated one it it viewed/consumed by others?
- No, example a personal journal. not intended for anyone to see. but is still helpful to you. just because people view it doesn’t make it more valid.
- ontology- what is it if it hasn’t been viewed by anyone? our blogs don’t exist until people view them- divided opinion.
- when we write in a blog it exists with an audience or not. difference between wether we need an audience to validate what it actually is.
- the beauty of blogging is that you can write for an imagined audience and if you keep to that style a real audience or readership will come.
- a link on a webpage is the way to get google ratings on your website- a way the get an audience.
Do you think the digitalisation of literary texts and the use of the E-reader will eventually replace the physical book completely?
- example- theatre and film
- no the physical book has the potential to become a collectors item?
- libraries- they will still be available?
- value of the book- you can’t rip pages out of a book because its a book, they almost have a sort of sentimental value.
- if you take the word literary out of the question it immediately changes.
- take literature out of the question and they are dead.
- the only way books will survive is through literature.
- another problem about books it the environmental footprint of making a physical book….it will become a digital footprint…it will still be literature but it just might not be in a book anymore.