So I almost (ALMOST) completely forgot about the sound element at Signal that I needed to complete. I’ve asked around to some people but many others were still brainstorming on what they wanted to present since the sound was considered to be separate from the footage/visual.
I didn’t have many ideas for my sound, I was thinking of doing some voices or maybe have some noises of people chatting but I felt that it would be too “busy” and would pretty much disappear being beside Flinders Station. So I was just tossing up some ideas when I thought of the “devils chord” also known as a tritone. The chord of F and B both together gives a strange sound and is kinda ugly to listen to, similarly to the chord C and B which is a 7th. I’m thinking that maybe it’ll be interesting to play these two intervals and have them spaced apart evenly over 30 seconds.
Because theres around 6 speakers, I’ll probably be able to have 3 playing each sound clip.
So today in class we got onto our computers and began editing/continued editing our footage and audio (only footage for me cause I need to get on that audio business!!) So right from the start I knew exactly what I wanted to do and how I wanted my end product to start and end. (screenshots below)
There was a single piece of footage missing, which I realised after I finished the filming and my previous blog post, however I have already gathered a second chance to refilm the missing pieces.
As Previously stated, my concept/obsession is “compression” or just “trapped” and I wanted to show people banging on glass and trying to escape. However, Robbie had a look at my footage and we talked about the relationship between the people that I had cast, and how initially the calm footage of the man and woman seem to indicate some form of relationship between the two and the boundary, as we as the fact that my footage also had a lot of framing which seemed to go nicely.
And there was the dilemma: do I cut certain footage out? Change my concept? Should I explore a bit deeper?? I did agree and liked the way Robbie saw the connection between people, and that the footage itself wasn’t simple humans attempting to escape the glass screen, but also the boundaries and curiosity that they have by peering into the camera. I did ultimately change my design (as shown below) but saved my original just in case!
Today was the day I filmed all my footage for my final Signal video/visual! I decided to ultimately follow the theme of “compression” and had a few of my friends over and I filmed them outside in my backyard behind a window. It was a solid 30 degrees today and so we used the natural lighting we had and with a white background we filmed throughout the afternoon and into early evening.
Of course when you’re filming you have a few bumps along the way, the first one was getting anyone here in the first place, my first person came on time, however had only an hour to film before they needed to commit to other appointments. My second person was late because of daylight savings and so we ended up filming an hour later then what we thought. And finally, my third person was coming after work and so we had to wait until the evening, which was risky because we were using natural lighting. However, it all came together and we finished shooting all the footage we had before the sun went down.