Learning Outcomes (wk12)

The prototype that we have created demonstrates the ability to research, design and produce media, through connecting theory and practice methodologies, and communicating and producing topics in complex ways. This k-film has progressed from an intermediate piece to a piece that has been rethought, reworked and reimagined. It is something that has gone through all of the levels of thinking and designing, that allows it to be seen through various angles which is something you need when working with new media practices.



From our perspectives, one of the most significant breakthroughs for our project is seeing it as a polyvocal piece that is represented through keywording and recurring themes and patterns. It is not planning what the final outcome will be, and deciding to let Korsakow find our end point, or the new direction that we wish to head in. We have challenged assumptions, been receptive to new ideas from within our group, the teaching faculty and outside practitioners; recognised similarities through the work; made connections between the granules and gathered materials from all briefs that we have completed; we have looked at our direction in new ways, allowing us to reinvent our methodologies of working; taken chances on our design to better our understanding for this new media software; and have built upon ideas to make better ideas.

This prototype has allowed us to follow the verification process of design, by analysing the result against the original perspectives. It is essential to test all ideas to analysis and synthesis, where we were then able to assess its validity and judge the final result. This is necessary after all of the research we have completed, to look back at our work and see that is has progressed in positive ways.


Throughout this process we have had highs and lows, however we have had some significant breakthroughs in terms of having a high standard working k-film. These breakthroughs were from the research that we have undergone, and listening to Hannah’s presentation on noticing. This lecture really gave us an insight on what we should be doing and where we should be. At first we were quite didactic in the ways in which we were working, however now we can be ensured that we have spun this around to us being more open about the idea of having no hint of narrative, and allowing the granules and key wording to determine its natural order. We have also taken onboard her idea of noticing, and not planning as much as we were in previous briefs. After working through project 4 we have tried to simulate this idea by breaking up our gathered recordings and making them into smaller self-contained granules that can be placed within four clusters.

In relation to earlier works that we have created our planning, collaborating, media making and methodologies have changed to fit with Korsakow and not work against what it is trying to do. We are now deciding on ideas and ways of working that work with the idea of not having a narrative structure, however we have come to a stage where we like to challenge this as well, from looking at works of Matt Soar. It is essential that we show what we have learnt along this process, and demonstrate it in our work, which will essentially lead to a better k-film. We now allow the work to determine its own outcome, which relates to how we have described our new and improved media practices. The idea of this final brief was to make a start, and to respond to the material as we go along, and that is exactly what we have done. We edited the already recorded material of Carly, and then allowed these videos to influence the extra footage that we needed to get in order for this work to be executed to a higher standard. Here, we are using Korsakow as a creative tool, which we haven’t been doing in the past.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Skip to toolbar